The West Bridgford estate passed through
several landed families after the Norman Conquest, some very
well known , from William Peveril, the Luterels and the
Pierreponts. The Marquis of Dorchester then lost the estate
in a game of cards, it is said to Millicent Munday, who then
married John Musters. He was the son of Sir John Musters who
bought Colwick Hall and estate in 1648. Colwick Hall was
always the main family home, but for some reason Munday
Musters (1712 -1770) decided to build another house on his
Bridgford estate and work started on the Hall in 1768.
Munday died before the building was completed, but it was
finished by his son, John Musters in 1774.
The first occupiers known seem to have
been the Rector William Thompson and his wife Sarah. She
remained the tenant after William's death in1808. During
this period Lord Byron fell in love with Mary Ann Chaworth
in 1803 but she remained unimpressed and married Jack
Musters whom she had met at West Bridgford Hall in1805 .
Lord Byron remained smitten and indeed wrote his poem " To
Mary " in 1806. After the death of Sarah Thompson in 1820
the tenant was John Musters daughter Sophia Ann.
In 1840 the wealth lace manufacturer
Lewis Heymann took up tenancy. His son subsequently decided
to buy the estate in 1883. This was Albert Heymann, who
enlarged the building and become a much respected local
benefactor. He sold the Hall and grounds to the West
Bridgford U.D.C. in 1923 for a very low price, believed to
have been the same as the original cost in1883.
This opened the Park to public use, and
it began to take shape as a major local amenity from this
time. The Park and Hall committee of the UDC arranged for
the layout of the public gardens and sports facilities,
tennis courts, bowling greens, football pitches and croquet
lawns. Under Albert Heymann cattle were kept on the parkland
which probably explains the need for the ha-ha, much of
which still exists